15 Feb California’s Sanctuary Cities
Posted at 02:03h in San Fernando Valley Bail Bonds
Los Angeles is among California’s self-proclaimed sanctuary cities. There is no formal definition of a sanctuary city, but in general, it is one that vows to protect its immigrants from deportation. In the United States, there are an upwards of 300 sanctuary cities. Some tips for immigrants would be:
- Make copies of your visas and green cards. Keep a copy safe at home, give copies to trusted loved ones, and carry a copy on you at all times.
- If you are stopped by the police, you do not need to reveal your immigration status.
- If you are arrested, you have the right to remain silent, the right to bail, and the right to a lawyer.
- Your arrest does not prompt an automatic deportation. You actually have people fighting for you: family, friends, strangers, and non-profit groups.
- You can get your child enrolled in school, or you can secure health care, for instance. These are a few things the local government in sanctuary cities want to do to help.
President Trump’s recent immigration ban, has millions of people worrying, and millions of people fighting against. If you are an immigrant, or you know someone who is, know that you are not alone. You have loved ones and so many strangers on your side.