We are all still coping from the recent Orlando, FL event that took place at Pulse nightclub where 50 people were killed. This mass murder comes from the guns of a man, guns which he purchased in the days leading up to his attacks. This event prompted yet another look at gun laws, both nationwide and state-wide. California in particular has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the U.S. but, are they enough?
- Californians must be at least 18 years old to purchase a long gun and they must be at least 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
- Certain guns are illegal to purchase in California, such as assault weapons. One example: AR-15, the same gun used in the Orlando nightclub shooting.
- Californians can purchase no more than 1 handgun per month.
- There is a 10 day waiting period between applying for a gun and actually receiving it.
- Purchasers must pass a background check and a written test.
- Guns must be safely and securely stored at home, out of reach from children.
- Guns must be purchased through licensed dealers. Private sales are illegal.
- All guns and ammo are micro stamped. Each time a gun is fired, a unique serial/ identification code is stamped onto the bullets, making it easier for investigators to determine which bullet came from which gun, and thus, which shooter.
- All guns, even concealed guns, are prohibited from college campuses.
- Individuals may contact the police with concern or knowledge that their loved one, who owns a gun, is planning an attack. The police will confiscate this person’s weapons for 21 days while they investigate. They do not need a warrant to confiscate.
These are just a few gun laws out of many, and of course, any violation is going to warrant some serious consequences. After all, it is a gun law violation.
Guns are not to be taken lightly. They require a high level of responsibility and maturity. If you, or someone you love, has been arrested for a gun-related incident and is offered the opportunity to bail out of jail, consider it a blessing and please contact San Fernando Valley Bail Bond Store immediately. No judgement.We will help bail your loved one out of jail with an affordable bail bond and a low monthly rate payment plan.